inspired by a comment on New York Times Cooking
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Cheddar, sliced
- Fig jam (I’ve found my favorite is Trader Joe’s Fig Butter)
- Dijon mustard
- Sandwich bread (if you have some other form of bread, it’s probably fine, I just feel this makes sense on sandwich bread vs. a crusty loaf, bagel, etc.)
- Lay out your two pieces of bread.
- One slice, spread the mustard.
- The other slice, spread the fig jam.
- Layer the cucumbers on top of the mustard.
- Layer the cheese on top of the cucumbers.
- Put the figgy piece of bread on top of the cheese.
When cucumber season arrives, this is lunch for many days. I love mustard on almost anything. I also enjoy using cucumbers in place of crackers to have a bit of cheese. The fig jam brings a deep sweetness to it all. It’s simple yet unexpected, particularly if “cucumber sandwiches” makes you think of what’s served with afternoon tea.